Water Poisons

“Water, water every where, and nor any drop to drink.”  This quote from The Rhyme of the Ancient Mariner by English poet Samuel Taylor Coleridge came to mind the other day while watching news feeds regarding a spectacular increase in TOXIC BLOOMS on lakes all across the country.

Life cannot exist without water and that’s why NASA’s primary test for life on other planets is evidence of water.  But water is rarely pure; it’s the most common solvent, and the water in our lakes, rivers and seas can become quite toxic and DEADLY.

Toxic blooms that cause adverse effects are called Harmful Algal Blooms (HABs).  They grow naturally as a response to changes in the chemical content of water (like increases in nitrogen and phosphorus from fertilizer runoff) or changes in pH (how acid or alkaline the water is).  HABs can also deplete the oxygen and block sunlight from water, thereby adversely affecting marine life.

But HAB toxins also harm humans who come into contact with them.  There are two main HABs that create the most havoc.  They are Cyanobacteria (blue-green algae or pond scum) and Red Tide (from the Karenia brevis algae).  So, here’s a suggestion: concentrated levels of harmful algae could be used as poisons in your next murder mystery.

Cyanobacteria – There are both toxic producing and non-toxic strains of these algae.  Spirulina is a type of blue-green algae that’s non-toxic, specifically because it’s free of microcystins (more on that in a minute).  The toxic varieties (like what was reported recently on the news) should never be ingested.  Consumption produces abdominal cramps, nausea, diarrhea and vomiting.  And more concentrated ingestion can lead to liver damage and severe digestive issues.  Prolonged exposure to skin causes irritating rashes.  They also adversely affect the nervous system since they are neurotoxins (adversely affecting our brain and peripheral nerves).

Most varieties of Cyanobacteria (50 – 70%) are harmful, and that’s because most contain naturally occurring poisons (neurotoxins) in their cells.  These toxins are called microcystins and are primarily responsible for the health issues associated with toxic blooms.  Microcystins are extremely stable (both to cold and heat as well as changes in pH).  For that reason, boiling water does not remove them.  Filtering is the only way to purify water contaminated with microcystins.  For my fiction-writing friends, filtration is also a great method to capture concentrations of the toxin for drying into a powder.

Red Tide – This type of toxic bloom is most harmful to marine life, particularly shellfish in contaminated waters.  Humans become ill as a result of eating the shellfish.  This is known as neurotoxic shellfish poisoning (NSP).  NSP exhibits in a number of ways: gastritis (nausea, vomiting, diarrhea) and neurological symptoms (slurred speech, memory loss, lack of muscle control).  Symptoms can range from minor to severe, depending on the concentration levels consumed.  It’s conceivable that a person could become totally paralyzed if enough SNP were ingested.  There have also been cases of asthma-like symptoms occurring when the toxin was inhaled.

So water is not only the GIVER of life.  It can also TAKE AWAY life when there’s toxic baggage wrapped around its molecules.  Next week I’ll discuss more sources of death coming from the sea, so stay tuned.

Thought?  Comments?  I’d love to hear them!

About James J. Murray, Fiction Writer

With experience in both pharmaceutical manufacturing and clinical patient management, medications and their impact on one’s quality of life have been my expertise. My secret passion of murder and mayhem, however, is a whole other matter. I’ve always loved reading murder mysteries and thrillers, and longed to weave such tales of my own. Drawing on my clinical expertise as a pharmacist and my infatuation with the lethal effects of drugs, my tales of murder, mayhem and medicine will have you looking over your shoulder and suspicious of anything in your medicine cabinet.
This entry was posted in About James J. Murray, About Writing, Neurological Poisons, Toxic Bloom Poisoning, Water Poisons and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Water Poisons

  1. Pingback: My buddy Jim Murray with a fascinating article on what is affecting something we can’t do without – WATER… « Thomas Rydder

  2. As a suspense novelist, I just love the info you share on your great blog, James. Thanks ever so much.

  3. molloutthere says:

    Thanks for the info, James. In my sci-fi stories, I often predict the water shortage as a result of overuse, but I never thought to use this sort of poisoning. You’ve given me a good idea. Much gratitude.

  4. wrLapinsky Corp says:

    This is why you should always drink wine or beer.

    Walt Lapinsky, President, wrLapinsky Corp.

  5. Arlee Bird says:

    These sound like agonizing deaths. You do some crazy research, but I guess someone’s gotta do it. Fascinating post.

  6. Thanks for the comments, Chanette and Arlee Bird. I can’t help thinking about the “what ifs” of murder. So many ways to kill and so little time to write those scenes.

  7. olbigjim says:

    Thanks for this post; I really enjoyed it. Water is the bringer of death in my WIP. Interesting isn’t it, how the life-bringer can also be the life-taker?

  8. Pingback: Mind Sieve 10/8/12 « Gloria Oliver

  9. Pingback: Saxitoxin and Ciguatera – More Killers From The Sea | Prescription For Murder

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s